One of the promises at this year’s WWDC was that some high profile Mac apps would return to the Mac App Store. This week, part of that promise was fulfilled as Panic’s Transmit re-appeared in the Mac App Store.
For admins this news is bittersweet. Transmit chose subscription pricing for the App Store. Unlike App purchases, which can be managed with VPP, subscriptions and other in-App-Purchases still cannot be managed. Thankfully, Panic still offers the standalone app, for a fixed price, which can be managed by traditional means.
Don’t miss the MacAdmins podcast this week. I actually talk briefly about the process of building this very newsletter every week.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the Scripting OS X Weekly Newsletter here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
On Scripting OS X
- MacAdmins Podcast, Episode 102: Erase All the Things (featuring myself!)
News and Opinion
- The State of the iPad in 2018 – Bradley Chambers, 9to5Mac
- Here’s How Apple Should Have Combined the iPad and Mac Mini – Luna Display
- Panic’s Transmit Returns to the Mac App Store – John Voorhees, MacStories
MacAdmins on Twitter
- Steve Yuroff: “Noting the steps needed to get a never-booted 10.14.beta for testing DEP and SecureToken behaviors. This isn’t fun anymore.”
- Tim Perfitt: “When searching for something in Spotlight, if you press command-return when an item is selected, it opens the enclosing folder.”
Bugs and Security
- Farewell SCEP! – Neil Martin
- Apple has pushed an update to Mojave’s TCC privacy protection data – Howard Oakley
Support and HowTos
- Boot Camp Changes on T2 Macs – Tim Perfitt, Twocanoes Software
- iPhone cookie error when adding a Google account – Alan Siu
- ESXi on a Raspberry Pi – William Lam, Virtually Ghetto
- The Mac Hardware/Software Obsolescence Chart – Anthony Reimer
Scripting and Automation
- Dev Update (2019–11–09) – Bryson Tyrell
- Running an AutoPkg Recipe with the –pkg Option – Anthony Reimer
- Backing up configuration profiles from Jamf Pro – Rich Trouton
- 13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Solid-State Drive Service Program (via Eric Holtham)
- If users can’t sign in to iCloud or Google on a managed iOS device
- Notarizing Your App Before Distribution: “In macOS 10.14, notarizing your software is optional, but recommended. In a future version of macOS, notarization will be required.” (Developer Documentation, via Rosnya Keller)
Updates and Releases
- iSH – An iOS Linux Shell for Your iPhone or iPad (Patreon, GitHub, TestFlight)
- Transmit 5 in the Mac App Store
There are no ads on my webpage or this newsletter. If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!
- Weekly Email Newsletter (TinyLetter)
- Apple News
If you want to support me and this website even further, then consider buying one (or all) of my books. It’s like a subscription fee, but you also get a useful book or two extra!
- ‘macOS Installation for Apple Administrators’
- ‘Property Lists, Preferences and Profiles for Apple Administrators’
- ‘Packaging for Apple Administrators’